Friday 29 April 2011

Silver ship brooch and peacock earrings

This was one off the fiddliest things I've ever made.  It took about 20 mins to cut and shape all of the pieces, then approximately THREE HOURS to solder it all together.  I foolishly only have one grade of solder, so the old joints would fall apart as soon as the new would flow.  I very, very nearly gave up but stepped back, took a deep breath and tried again, and I'm so glad I did.  60th birthday present for an awesome aunt.

It can work as a scarf pin or a brooch.

I love the little wiggle in the pin, that helps it lock in place securely.

As I had my brother's cameras in my hands, I thought I'd take the opportunity to snap a photo of my old, massive stylised peacock-feather earrings.  These are set with labradorites (my first cabochon settings, with thanks to Robin, my jewellery sensei!) and have my logo pierced into the back.  They're a bit unwieldy but really make an impression.  I've had someone demand I sell them to her there and then...

Pity I wasn't able to capture the colours in the labradorite, it's one of my favourite stones.  beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment