Tuesday 12 April 2011

Costuming in progress - abyssal mermaid

I really need to learn to keep on top of this better - I've made absolutely bucketloads of things recently and not-so-recently, but I haven't been keeping track!

Anyway, this is part of a costume-in-progress for a White Mischief show this Saturday, theme of '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'.  The basic concept is an abyssal mermaid.  Another incarnation was octopus-based, but I couldn't figure out how to get the movement right without helium, so that'll have to wait.

Oh yes, and I <3 thermoplastic, that stuff is the bomb.


From the back, thermoplastic spines roughly double-sided-taped on back, and draft ear-spines. Still needs white LED lure and scaly body-paint - might try and colour the spines to match, or keep them fish-bone white.

From the front, slightly better view of the high-waisted fishtail skirt.  I safeteypinned a tulle underskirt halfway down a petticoat to puff out the flare of the skirt.

The top bit could use some work: really wish I had an overbust corset without shoulders!  Could also latex-body-paint octopus/squid suckers to the inside of arms, not sure yet.  I think it definitely needs something glowing stuck down the sides to mimic lateral lines on an abyssal fish.  Lots of silveryness, and paler on the front.

Things left to do:
  • Create another ear-spine
  • Make lure with LED light on
  • Add glow-in-the-dark dots down the sides of the dress, if I can find something suitable
  • Make jellyfish parasol when parts arrive
  • Bodypaint.  Lots and lots of bodypaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment