Friday 11 June 2010

Commission - brooch


I love making the most of packaging, to make something I'd myself be delighted to open, to make the recipient feel special.  First the pink/red velvet pouch, then the thin balsawood presentation case tied with a ribbon, with the image inked into the front...

Then a first peek at the contents, snug and secure between the layers...


Three finely sawn cut-outs of the design in sheets of satin-finish sterling silver.  The ear wires are recessed into the cover to keep the packaging flat and secure - the earrings simply thread on.


The back of the packaging shows my logo, printed on the third sheet of balsawood which has a cut-out to house the pin back - incidentally the first one that's really worked well, and I wish I'd taken better pictures of it. 

I wish I'd been given more scope to do a single, more ambitious and complex item, but it's more important to make the customer happy!  Perhaps one day I'll make the things I had sketched out, with layers of purpleheart wood and handmade chains.

No comments:

Post a Comment